Saturday, July 18, 2009

Akihabara Electric Town

I went to Akihabara, the area of Tokyo known as electric town because there's sooo many different electronics stores/vendors. They have any and every type of video game, gadget, camera. Some parts of Akihabara are like a flea market with used, beat up, and sometimes even non working old electronics for sale in big bins on the ground, and then there's also the high end, high priced electronics boutiques. I only took a few pictures on my phone, because that's all I had on me, but I'll be going back with the good camera for better coverage.

This is my favorite store in Akihabara. It's called "Super Potato" and it's made for people who nerd out for retro home video games and consoles. (Me.)
The first two floors were jammed with every game and system imaginable, and some of the really rare systems had pricetags in the thousands. They had signs in Japanese and English saying that you weren't supposed to take pictures, so I took some of these from the doorway.



The top floor was a retro arcade that was mostly full of coctail style arcade machines, and a few sit dow standard style arcade machines. The machines were hacked/tweaked to make them easier to win. For instance I played Final fight to nearly the end stage on just one coin, because they made the punch button set to matrix-like turbo speed. There was also a throne made out of old Japanese nintendo cartridges, presumably for the king of nerd-land. I sat in it.

1 comment: